A small band of guerilla fighters supernaturally defeat the King of Syria and all his resources
Baby Y'shua (Jesus) supernaturally survives despite Herod's death warrant on all boys his age: "Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, 'Arise, take the young Child and His mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you word; for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him'" (Matthew 2:13).
Antiochus falsely claimed to be Epiphanes, God incarnate
Y'shua truly is God incarnate: "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel" (Isaiah 7:14).
LIGHT OF MENORAH
The shamash or servant candle brings light to the rest of the candles on the Hanukkiah
LIGHT OF MESSIAH
Jesus, the Light of the World, gives His light to all who will receive it: "…I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life" (John 8:12).
In Israel it is traditional to eat special donuts because fried foods remind us of the oil needed to dedicate the Temple.
In the United States, many of us grew up with latkes (fried potato pancakes). We know one person whose wife prefers not to deal with the lingering fragrance of the fried onions, oil, etc. so they order green onion pancakes from the local Chinese eatery.
FILL IN THE BLANK
You guys can probably answer this one better than we can. If you have some really interesting sounding traditional foods drop us a line and maybe we'll mention them in next December's newsletter!
- Jesus the Messiah
- Did Jesus even exist?
- What are some reasons for believing Jesus is the Messiah?
- What proof do you have that Jesus was the Messiah?
- Is the story of Jesus a rehash of pagan ideas (virgin births, dying gods, etc.)?
- What have some Jewish people said about Jesus?
- Some Jewish Views of Jesus
- How can Jesus be the Messiah when he didn't bring peace?
- Do the genealogies of Jesus in the New Testament show that he can't be the Messiah?
- The Problem of the Curse on Jeconiah in Relation to the Genealogy of Jesus
- Is the idea that Jesus is "coming again" just something Christians made up because he didn't "get it done" the first time around?
- What is the evidence that Jesus rose from the dead?
- Did Jesus teach his followers to hate their parents?
- Was Jesus' death a violation of the commandment against human sacrifice?
- Even if it's true, so what?
- The Bible
- The Jewish Community
- How do Jews who follow Jesus identify as Jews?
- Doesn’t the problem of “Christian anti-Semitism” show the real nature of what faith in Jesus is all about?
- How does following Jesus lead some non-Jews to support the Jewish people and fight anti-Semitism?
- How is faith in God, or in Jesus, possible after the Holocaust?
- Since most Jews are sincere people and happy with their own religion, why isn’t that enough?
- Theological Issues
- Survivor Stories
- Apologetics Links
- Life Stories
- Prophecies of the Messiah in the Hebrew Bible
- Topic Index
- Jesus the Messiah
- Get Involved
- For Congregations